Mobile internet software and services UCWeb today released UC Browser 3.1 for Windows Phone with a bunch of enhancements. UC Browser has risen to become the No.1 browser on WP store, receiving over 11,000 highly rated reviews from Indian users alone. Now, the latest version is available for download on the WP Store (for both WP8 and 7.x).
UC Browser’s unique features make it the most popular alternative to default IE browser on Windows Phones. This latest update comes with multiple enhancements including easy-to-use interface and cloud acceleration technology as well as a number of advanced features like sharing, smart download, speed mode, multi-tabs management, UI customization, to name a few.
Commenting on the occasion, Kenny Ye, Managing Director of UCWeb India, said “A dedicated WP team was set up for early R&D and right after Nokia unveiled Lumia 800 as early as 2011, UC browser version 1.0 for WP was successfully released. We are proud to say that we deliver the best browsing experience on WP platform.”
Some key highlights of UC Browser for WP are:
- Allows greater sharing: UC Browser enables you to share images via ANY apps on your Windows Phone that support photo-sharing. Long press on any image you come across, and select “Share Image” to experience the lovely fun of sharing!
- Allows you to enjoy music while browsing: This feature makes playing downloaded music while browsing possible, even though the screen is locked.
- Provides a great user experience: UC Browser is fast and easy to use. Its cloud acceleration and data compression technology, reduces data consumption and loads web content much faster. It supports more Gestures than IE does, for instance, swipe right to go back a page or left to go forward instantly without refreshing the web content – the simple gestures not only save your time and data, but also deliver great interactive experience. The action bar provides quick access to Multi-tab Management and Homepage, which also satisfies your appetite for speed and convenience.
- Smart Download: With Smart Download feature you can download files of various formats, and pause and resume the downloads as per requirement. In other words, it turns your cell phone into a smart and powerful download tool.
- Allows Multi-tab Management : While IE browser allows only a maximum of 6 tabs, the UC Browser can open up to 9 tabs at the same time, with the ability of swiping to close.
- Highly Customizable : You can personalize the Speed Dial, pick a Font for webpages, as well as change the background and skin by selecting pictures from UC Theme Center or your storage. It also offers flexible browsing modes to cater for individual preferences and different environments.
Additionally, the Night Mode feature can reduce the screen brightness and ensure your eyes don’t hurt; Speed Mode lets you surf at super speed without waiting, and Incognito Browsing allows you browse in stealth without being recorded. By entering Visit as PC mode, you can experience the full features of webpages as if on a PC. On the contrary, Text-only Browsing strips annoying content like ads, images,etc., and turn your phone into a complete e-reader.
More and more
According to the latest Internet Economy Watch Report for June 2013 jointly published by the IAMAI and IMRB, 2.93 million resumes were uploaded on various job portals in June 2013. This represents a y-o-y increase of 205% when compared with the number of resume uploads in corresponding month last year. Profile uploads on matrimonial sites increased to 2.16 million in June 2013 as compared to 0.75 million in 2012.
The monthly tracker also found a marginal y-o-y growth of 17 percent in online booking of railway tickets in June 2013 considering that it is the vacation month in India on account of summer holidays in schools. Railway tickets booked online in June 2013 were 6.81 million as compared to 5.83 million in June 2012. The online bookings of air tickets witnessed an increase of 1.45 million bookings in 2012 to 1.70 million bookings in 2013.
According to the report, online visit to branded apparels and designer label segments have increased by 96 percent and 27 percent respectively, when compared to the numbers of corresponding month last year. A significant increase has been registered in the online users visit to mobile segment. The number of visits has increased to 11.61 million in June 2013 from 4.91 million in June 2012, 136 percent YoY growth. The online users visit to spa jewellery segment increased from 1.72 million in June 2012 to 4.03 million in June 2013, a y-o-y increase of 134 percent.
The monthly tracker report further found that 38.76 million people accessed various e-tailing sites. There were 1281.26 million page views in the category. The user reach for job and matrimonial websites is 22.56 million and 20.01 million respectively with 1237.91 million and 611.19 million respective page views. Online travel segment has reach with 21.72 million reach and 11132.50 million page views.
More and more
B2B marketplace Tradeindia.com has introduced a mobile phone-friendly platform that will make trading possible while on the go for users. This new feature aims to enable users to access any specific catalog or customized website by using their mobile phones.
The new service will allow users to access information about all registered buyers or sellers, their listed products and services, contact information, and the whole product gallery of the buyer or seller. The mobile platform also allows users to send trade inquiries using their mobile phone.
Commenting on the launch, Mr. Bikky Khosla, founder and CEO, Tradeindia.com said, “We are very excited to launch this new platform, which is in line with the today’s technology requirements and expectations of our users. Tradeindia has remained a market leader in online B2B marketing for the last two decades, and the key to this success is our focus on providing unparalleled services and user-friendliness to our members. Introduction of these new features is another small but significant step toward this direction.”
As per a recent study, the Indian mobile internet user base is expected to grow to 165 million by March 2014. The study also reveals that around 94% Indian smart-phone users have used their smart device to access Internet from their phone. Around 40-50 % of Indian Internet users are expected to access the web only on mobile phones by 2015.
Source: Business Wire India
More and more
Opera Software has announced the launch of beta version of Opera browser for Android. Opera has rebuilt the entire browser to provide Android mobile users with a full native, browsing experience on their devices.
The company stated,” The beta version launched today, the first iteration of the new generation of Opera browsers for smartphones, will give developers and first-movers in the mobile-app world access to Opera’s latest offering for Android users.”
Some key features of Opera browser for Android are:
- New look: Opera browser for Android sports a completely new user interface that is more elegant and built to the native specifications of the Android platform.
- Discover feature: This provides a new way of discovering content on the web. From the Discover panel of the startup screen, users can read a selection of popular articles and dig deeper into their interests, such as sports, technology, lifestyle or news.
- New, revamped Speed Dial: With the new Speed Dial, the bookmarks are fused together with the Speed Dial entries to provide a new experience. Users can easily group, organize and rename Speed Dial entries or gather them in folders — all with the touch of the thumb.
- Off-Road mode: Opera for Android integrates the compression technology from Opera Mini, for faster browsing when conditions are rough. When facing bad network or costly roaming while traveling, users can switch to Off-Road mode and keep on surfing.
- Combined search and address bar: Opera has combined the search and URL field for a more elegant UI and more intuitive input.
- Tabbed browsing: With tabbed browsing, users can browse, open and sort all open browser windows on their phone. It even offers private browsing, just like the Opera desktop browser.
- History: With the easily accessible history mode, return to that page you saw earlier today fast — just swipe your finger to the right to access the content on the left on your home screen.
- Save for later: This feature lets the user download a complete webpage and read it later while offline. It’s perfect for reading long articles on flights without Wi-Fi or just when users don’t want to connect to the internet.
More and more
On Tuesday, Bharti Airtel and Opera Software announced the launch of Opera Web Pass for customers in India. Opera Web Pass aims to enable first-time mobile internet users in the country to subscribe to affordable and simple pay-as-you-go services for their Airtel mobile phones. To avail the service, a subscriber just needs to start Opera Mini on his mobile phone, click Opera Web Pass in the Speed Dial start page and choose from a list of web pass subscriptions, allowing Airtel mobile customers to purchase from a range of user-centric packages to suit their internet access needs.
Users have the option to purchase an hourly data plan, by paying a fee for one-hour subscription of mobile internet. They can opt for the unlimited data usage, by paying a flat fee for a 24-hour subscription and stay online throughout the day or choose the weekend subscription pack to browse the web just on weekends
Opera Web Pass is expected to provide an easy and flexible solution for accessing the web for mobile subscribers without data plans.
With Opera Web Pass, Airtel mobile users can:
- Get instant access to the internet subscription that suits their needs
- Enjoy simple time-and content-based charging
- Get the right level of cost control with the time-based or content-based packages
- Stay informed by a pop-up when Opera Web Pass has expired or if they are about to access services subject to additional charges.
The Opera Web Pass leverages the existing capabilities of the Opera Mini platform.
More and more
Reliance Communications has launched ‘Special Privileges’, an online shopping service for its customers, offering discounts on leading brands across categories. RCom has partnered with supply chain business firm, Martjack Exchange to offer the services in India.
RCom, President for Services, Anurag Prashar said,”This is our new year gift to our customers…We are confident that Special Privileges will provide completely new experience in terms of variety and convenience to RCOM customers across huge range of product categories.”
He added,” ‘Special Privileges’ will offer mix of both common home products as well as luxury goods across more than 15,000 products ranging from mobile phones, apparels, books, daily goods, electronic Goods and kitchen appliances among others. Reliance customers can receive the delivery of these goods through courier across more than 500 cities in the country.”
In order to avail the ‘Special Privileges’ service, RCom customers will have to sign in using their Reliance number.
More and more
Recently Opera Software and Neomobile entered into a strategic partnership to bring mobile payment freedom to users of Neomobile services and the Opera Mini mobile browser. As part of the agreement with Opera Commerce, a fully-owned subsidiary of Opera Software, the Neomobile mobile payment system will be integrated into the Opera Payment Exchange (OPX).
OPX aims to make mobile payments a secure and easy experience for the more than 200 million Opera Mini users globally. Opera Mini users will be able to purchase goods and services in the countries where Neomobile service is offered, with the same advantages of all other mobile browser users. With Neomobile, transactions will be seamlessly billed directly to the users’ mobile phone bill.
Commenting on this partnership, Sameer Merchant, CEO, Opera Commerce said,“Opera strives to work with partners like Neomobile to strengthen the mobile-payment ecosystem for Opera Mini users through OPX. One by one, we want to partner with premium mobile payment service providers like Neomobile to give the convenience of mobile payments to our Opera Mini users.”
Opera Mini is one of the world’s leading mobile browsers with users on all mobile platforms. Opera’s browsers are also available for computers, TVs and connected devices, including Opera Mobile, the browser for high-end mobile devices. Opera has more than 275 million users all over the world.
Neomobile is the global mobile commerce group at the center of the new mobile ecosystem. Established in February 2007, today Neomobile is a global leader in mobile entertainment in 11 markets, in Europe, Latin America and India.
More and more
Global mobile internet company UCWeb, Inc., announced on Monday that its flagship product, UC Browser is the only mobile browser to offer cloud download for the iPhone. The new English version (v8.9) optimizes the mobile browsing experience for iPhone users by combining cloud based webpage compression technology and intuitive designs which can reduce data traffic by up to 90 percent and provide users with more control over contents obtained from the internet. UC Browser v8.9 is available free on Apple’s iOS App Store.
Commenting on the enhancements to UC Browser, UCWeb Chief Product Officer, He Xiaopeng said, “iOS is our second largest smartphone platform and we continuously strive to improve the mobile internet experience of our iOS users. We believe that the new features embedded in our latest version will keep iPhone users in step with the most current mobile and cloud technologies – something that all iPhone users have come to expect.”
Key features for UC Browser v8.9 include:
- Cloud Download makes it possible for users to download extremely large files or those from difficult-to-reach online sources by using UCWeb’s cloud server as the intermediary. Anyone with a UC Browser account can download files to the UCWeb server and then download to a local device with guaranteed speed and stability. A second benefit for cloud download is that mobile users will not be throttled by the poor mobile internet connection at the time of downloading, and users can use a better internet connection, such as WiFi, to download to local devices.
- Download Manager is an intuitive management tool that help users manage their contents in an efficient manner. Downloaded files can automatically be sorted in to pre-categorized folders such as music, video, images, and zip files. The download manager also alerts the user prior to the file download in the event that the file is not compatible with the iPhone. This prevents the user from downloading incompatible files, thus saving on both data cost and time. It also gives users more control over downloaded contents and allows digital formats such as MP3, video, eBooks, and more to be accessed only with UC Browser.
- Watch Offline takes advantage of the uptake in video consumption to allow users to cache online video and watch it later. This feature makes online video viewing possible even in relatively slow network environments, with poor or no internet connections. Once the video is cached to UC Browser, users can use UC Browser to view the video anytime, anywhere.
UC Browser is the largest mobile browser by user base. Quick Reads, URL auto-completion, and efficient search box combined with neatly designed site navigation makes it the choice of 400 million users worldwide. UC Browser also supports Gesture Control, which allows users to open a new tab or switch between multiple tabs with the swipe of the fingers. It also allows the users to switch between Night-and-Day mode and shuffle the themes of the browser by simply shaking the device.
More and more
According to a recent Mobile Internet Report by IAMAI, India will have 130.6 million mobile internet users by March 2014. In December 2012, this number was 87.1 Million mobile internet users.
The report reveals that, in October 2012, there were 78.7 million mobile users who had accessed internet in the last one month, which include Laptop with dongles, tablet, dongles that connects to Internet. Of this number, there are 61 million Off-Deck Users (accessing sites other than sites of the operator), 15 million On-Deck Users (accessing only sites specified by the operator) and the rest 2.7 million users accessed the internet using dongles (i.e. connected to Internet using 2G, 3G or high-speed data cards).
The report further shows that the average monthly bill of a user who access Internet on mobile devices is Rs. 460. Out of this amount, around Rs. 198 is spent towards Internet expenses. This is a very healthy trend as it shows willingness of the users to spend nearly 40 percent of the bill towards Internet access. The rest is spent on voice services.
The report also found that Email, social networking services (SNS) and messengers have high usage among mobile internet user. Accessing online videos, games or reading online news are done approximately 2-6 times a week. While online games are accessed by nearly 50% of the Mobile Internet users, less than 30% of users read online news and watch online videos.
More and more
Wipro Technologies has announced the launch of Wipro SmartOffers – a location based solution for banks, in partnership with Intuition Intelligence.
Wipro SmartOffers, primarily targeted at retail banks, aims at increasing coupon redemption rates significantly by delivering the right offers to the bank’s customers over the mobile or the internet. The solution leverages Wipro’s mobile based applications IP, data models and partner’s algorithms to deliver highly targeted offers. Wipro has teamed up with Intuition Intelligence who has a patented machine learning algorithm that applies rapid real time learning to target coupons.
Wipro’s SmartOffers is optimally built to leverage the unique features of both online and mobile channels. It is a multi-channel application that is integrated with the bank’s retail mobile and online offerings, and supports IOS and Android based smartphones. This solution will link the bank’s internal and external ecosystem; leading to new revenue streams centering on offer optimization and redemption.
Commenting on the launch, Vijay Sharma, Global Domain Head – Banking and Financial Services, Wipro Technologies, said, “We expect Wipro SmartOffers to enable banks to pre-empt commoditization by building brand loyalty and creating additional revenue streams. We are already testing the concept with several banks across the globe, which gives us a first mover advantage and are very encouraged by the prospects.”
More and more