We’ve all heard the phrase “there’s an app for that” and when it comes to cable TV streaming to your phone or tablet, that’s the absolute truth.
If you subscribe to cable or even satellite TV in the US, odds are you can download a free app that’ll let you watch TV on your smartphone or tablet. It doesn’t matter if you’ve got an iPhone, iPad or an Android device. All the big cable companies, and many channels have free apps you can download so you can have your TV anywhere you are.
Here’s a quick list of channels and companies that have free apps available for streaming TV:
– ABC, CBS, CW, FOX and NBC. All the major networks have one. These can provide access to currently running shows, news, some live events and may even allow you to play shows from earlier in the season to catch up.
– AT&T U-verse – For those who subscribe to AT&T U-verse, apps are available for download to allow access to your TV subscription.
– Charter – Charter provides subscribers with streaming access to their packages via the free Charter app.
– Comcast – With Comcast’s Xfinity app, you can access live TV wherever you are.
– COX Communications – COX also provides their subscribers with a free streaming app.
– DirecTV – As with cable companies, satellite TV providers are also allowing subscribers to download free streaming apps. DirecTV also provides expanded football coverage with their apps as well.
– DISH Network – In conjunction with their Hopper, DISH subscribers can access their subscription as well as shows stored on their DVRs.
– ESPN – With their WatchESPN app, you can have access to ESPN coverage regardless of where you are, any time.
– HBO Go/ MAX Go – These apps, much like the ESPN app above gives subscribers of HBO and CineMAX access to shows and movies while you’re on the go.
For companies that require subscriptions such as your local cable TV provider, your app usually gives you access to your online billing account as well. For those who also subscribe to internet services via a cable TV provider, you may also have access to your e-mail accounts, too.
These apps are available online from several sources including Apple iTunes and Google Play. Most of these apps are designed for current versions of iPhone software as well as the latest versions of Android from Honeycomb (3.0) and later. When you log into Google Play or iTunes your device compatibility will be verified before the app is downloaded.
Do keep in mind that, especially in the case of your smartphone, data rates may apply. If you don’t have access to a Wi-Fi network, your phone will try to use your 3G/ 4G connectivity to stream your content. For constant users, this can easily surpass your data limits which could cause your cell phone bill to be extremely high, unless you have an unlimited data plan. Also keep in mind that, even with an unlimited data plan, your cell phone provider may impose data rate limits.
In today’s hectic world, it can be a real challenge to find the time to sit on the couch and watch TV. Between work, family activities and other responsibilities, taking the time to watch your favorite show or even a favored sporting event may simply not be possible. However, with free streaming apps available from your TV provider, you can watch shows when you want, where you want. Don’t do without TV when you don’t have to. Download an app today and enjoy!