A recent study conducted by Snapdeal.com revealed that in the online space, mobiles and tablets are the most searched and most bought products in India. The study conducted on the Online Shopping Trends observed in the Mobiles and Tablets category is based on the sales and traffic seen on Snapdeal.com over a period of three months (July 2012 – September 2012).
According to the study, 80% of the mobiles sold online were priced below Rs 5,000 and 95% of the tablets sold were below Rs 10,000. Some other key findings from the study are:
- Trends show that customers are now preferring Smartphones versus Feature Phones with Smartphones accounting for 23% of the online market share on Snapdeal.com
- The top 5 Mobile phone brands are Micromax, Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and HTC.
- In the low price (<Rs 10,000) Tablets category, Micromax has emerged as the clear leader with the brand’s Funbook range being the highest selling as well as the most searched tablet on Snapdeal.com.
- Indian Tablets brands like Zync, Penta and Intex are now finding greater acceptability amongst the online shoppers on Snapdeal.com
- Almost 50% of the sales of Mobiles and Tablets came from consumers’ residing in Tier-I cities.
- Growth in Tablets market outpaced the growth in Mobiles market by 3 times with Tablets sales growing at the rate of 33% month-on-month as compared to Mobiles sales growth at 11% month-on-month
- Symbian (46%) and Android (44%) were the most preferred operation systems in mobile phones.
- Camera is no longer an ancillary feature in mobile phones. The sale of mobile phones with cameras grew by a 100% while that of mobile phones without cameras dropped by 32%.
- Android is the most preferred OS in Tablets with a market share of 94%.