A recent report by Nielsen shows that there was a significant increase in the usage of sports applications and websites on smartphones during IPL 5. This report came up with some very interesting findings:
- Compared to the time spent in the beginning of IPL 5, users spent almost thrice the amount of time towards the end of the tournament.
- The number sessions on ‘apps’ rose from four sessions per day per person in the of beginning IPL 5 to 12 sessions per day per person towards the end.
- Seven per cent of the 5,000 mobile users searched for celebrities and team owners like Shah Rukh Khan, Siddharth Mallya, Preity Zinta on their smartphones.
- Six per cent of the users searched for cricketers with the top searched players being Sachin Tendulkar, M S Dhoni and Virender Sehwag.
- Around 26 per cent users checked the scores on their smartphones while 16 per cent watched live streaming of matches.
- Among the various IPL teams, Kolkata Knight Riders was the most searched followed by Chennai Super Kings and Pune Warriors.
- Apart from all this, the users also booked tickets and checked match schedules in their smartphones.